By Draper Startup House
If you want to stand out among the existing 8,500 startups in Bangalore, our travel guide is everything you need to know to successfully set up and grow your business in the startup burgeoning city!
Thinking of ambitious opportunities in India? Stay right in the center of India’s ‘Silicon Valley–Bangalore’ and experience the diversity of its startup culture. Being listed under the Top 10 fast-growing cities in India, you can meet and network with a whole bunch of traveling designers, artists, techies, and entrepreneurs who all live to tell and write their stories!
It is important to prepare yourself to create your own new normal and that’s okay. Make sure you have done serious planning before thinking of traveling. This applies to everyone, be it local or international. I always check the Flatten the Curve website for information on travel restrictions to India. Stay informed and purchase essentials such as travel and health insurance from providers such as Safetywing to protect yourself should there be the unfortunate situation where you’d need to undergo testing and treatment.
Bangalore, often known as India’s hottest startup and IT residential neighbourhood, Koramangala is an elegant locality, home to one of the first and biggest new-age shopping malls in the city – the Forum Mall. While the eight blocks comprising the neighbourhood add to a well-planned, leafy mix of an upmarket residential area, the 5th block especially has created a growing fan following for its vibrant nightlife and chilled out evenings. Walk along the streets of this busy street to discover fun moments at cultural centres & book stores, a variety of gigs from acoustic nights to karaoke evenings at live music bars, bowling at breweries and good shopping bargains.
FOUNDATIONS OF SETTING A BUSINESS IN BANGALORE
Bangalore is an opportunity-thriving city with a GDP of $45billion but also with a population of 8.7million. If you want to be successful among the talented crowd, you need to know when, where and how to begin. So let’s start here first!
Language: English, Kannada, and Hindi are widely spoken languages but Telugu, Malayalam and Tamil are also common.
Currency: The currency in India is the rupees (Rs.), which makes it convenient for many locals from all over India to visit.
Climate: A tropical climate all year round and rainy monsoon period is May–Oct. In India the temperature can reach 42 degrees easily during the summer season so don’t forget your sunscreen.
Tax and legal partners: It is important to make sure that you have the right legal and tax partners to serve the best interest of providing credible information and support systems for your business in Bangalore. Here are a few trusted partners you can choose from; Inventus Law, ClearTax, EntreLegal, and AraLaw.
TRAVELING IN BANGALORE
There are a myriad of cost-effective ways to travel in Bangalore!
160 000 Auto-rickshaws: The fastest and common mode of transportation in all over India. Always insist on going by meter and do not pay even a rupee extra than the amount displayed in the meter. Also, even if the meter is not working, fix the fare in advance.
Ola: If you want to travel conveniently, in a group or at night after 7pm, then we advise OLA as it is the ideal substitute to rickshaws and buses for maximum safety.
Buses: The cheapest mode of public transport in Bangalore with 6472 buses, 4, 9 millions passengers a day, 2398 routes.
Looking for more and other ways of transport visit Bangalore transport guide.
THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW BEFORE BUILDING A STARTUP
Government: Entrepreneurs moving to Bengaluru with revolutionary business ideas but are bootstrapped can rely on the Startup Karnataka, a government platform designed to help startups with almost everything including various types of funding.
Cheap Cost of Living: Compared to any other metropolitan city, the cost of living in Bangalore is comparatively affordable.
Venture Capitals: The following famous venture capitals will help you convert your creative ideas into viable projects and startups.
- DHS Ventures is a global syndicate created for the sole purpose of helping entrepreneurs receive better access to funding, while helping to cultivate a network of entrepreneurial growth.
- Sequoia Capital, a venture capital focused on energy, financial, enterprise, healthcare, internet, and mobile startups.
- Accel Partners partners with exceptional founders with unique insights, from inception through all phases of growth.
- Lets Venture invest in companies in the seed and early stages operating in the digital, engineering & manufacturing, life sciences, and tourism sectors.
- 100X VC is a first VC to invest in early stage startups using India SAFE Notes.
- Nexus Ventures a pioneer of investing in global technology products and technology-led businesses for India.invest in early-stage startups working in the energy space and willing to impact the lives of millions of people.
- Kalaari Capital mainly invests in founders.
- Blume Ventures a science-led social enterprise that develops transformative approaches for nurturing and sustaining locally led marine companies.
- Saif Partners supports visionary entrepreneurs across diverse sectors.
- 3One4 Capital, an early-stage venture capital firm based in Bangalore, India. The firm works in select market categories and in the intersection of adjacencies that are large, growing, and ready for unique products and services.
Famous Startups of Bangalore:
Some of the local popular startups to learn from are:
- YULU, Bengaluru-based bike-sharing solution platform.
- OLA, Uber of India.
- Unbabel, an artificial intelligence-powered human translation platform that provides translators, integrations, tech, gaming service providers, and sales force.
- BigBasket, an Indian online grocery delivery service.
- Swiggy, India’s largest and most valuable online food ordering and delivery platform.
- CRED, an App in India through which you can earn reward points by paying your credit card bills.
- ZoomCar, an Indian self-drive car rental company, headquartered in Bangalore, India.
- Trell, best social and short video App In India.
- Zomato, an easy-to-use app shows you all the restaurants and nightlife options in the city, along with menus, photos, and reviews.
- Locus, Bangalore-based startup promises to solve all inefficiencies for a logistics company.
- Meesho, an Indian-origin social commerce platform.
Startup Training Providers:
Here are some training providers you can seek help from.
- TiE, a Silicon Valley non-profit supporting start-ups through networking and the raising of capital for new and experienced entrepreneurs.
- NSRCel, one of the most scenic educational institutions in the country.
- Nasscom, the premier trade body and chamber of commerce of the Tech industry in India.
- T-hub, Startup incubator headquartered in Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
Or you can work with us in Draper Startup House Bangalore in our shared coworking spaces that provide a perfect environment for entrepreneurs to learn, connect, get work done.
Events & Community:
Draper Startup House (DSH) Bangalore is hosting events regularly such as webinars, online workshops like fun quizzes, live events, and much more. Always check out the DSH Bangalore socials here Facebook and Instagram for upcoming events.
As for the community, Echai is one of the largest early-stage online-offline startups community in India with an active presence in 15+ cities in India and participation from 10K+ enterprising people. Followed by Headstart, India’s largest grassroots level organisation for entrepreneurship and startups. There are a few other recognised communities you should check out here:
TO-DO LIST IN BANGALORE
Bangalore is not just a Silicon Valley or the IT hub of India, it’s also a city of people, colors, and culture.
Tourist sites: Bangalore Palace, built for Chamaraja Wadiyar X in 1887, the design was inspired by England’s Windsor Castle.
Similar is the Vidhana Soudha popular for impressive pieces of architecture.For something religious yet historically modern, is the ISKCON Temple, famous for its large international society of Krishna Consciousness.
The Bangalore Flower Market is the oldest and traditional local market, a treat for photographers to explore the local culture and beautiful collection of flowers.
For more attractions like cubbon nature park, visit tourist sites of Bangalore.
Food: Here are 20 most popular street food places in Bangalore15 — all showing off the mouth-watering delicacies you can’t say no to. If this wasn’t enough there are also top 20 iconic must visit restaurants in Bangalore to choose from.
Nightlife: Looking for a safe yet a blast nightcation in Bangalore? Here is the list of 16 best experiences of nightlife in Bangalore–famous for its microbreweries, music, and dance clubs.
Mysore: Known as the royal “city of palaces” is 3 hour drive from Bangalore. Majority of people visiting Bangalore can never say no to Mysore especially if you want to explore and feel the adventurous atmosphere of traditional and classic architecture.
THE HOME FOR ENTREPRENEURS IN BANGALORE
Our Draper Startup House In Bangalore provides you with the best opportunity for you to land, explore, engage and connect with people who are creating the future, including yourself! DSH Bangalore is in one of the most centrally located areas of Bangalore, Koramangala can be accessed with various public transport options. Our living spaces and shared co-workspaces provide the perfect environment for entrepreneurs and independent minds to be inspired, to learn from each other and get work done.
When you are ready – Come stay with us to join the network of the larger entrepreneurial community. The only all-in-one accommodation for resource-building through learning, co-working, funding, and much more—-let’s GO BIG, give back, and drive progress!
If you have any questions feel free to reach out at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are raising funds and are ready to take your business to the next level, please apply below
GO BEGIN YOUR JOURNEY!
We hope you find this blog post insightful, and if you do, please share it with anyone who you think might be interested and useful for their goals! Our blog post is created to educate and improve business opportunities for many entrepreneurs like yourself who want to make use of their best time in one of the startup booming cities like Bangalore.
Join our entrepreneur network for free and experience the best startup ecosystem with us 👋JOIN DEN